Saturday, August 28, 2010

Special K Diet, Day 2: Enter the Kashi

Kashi is a new line of food products aimed at those who want to eat healthy and natural. They have issued the following challenge:

"Try a free box of Kashi Granola Bars. If you don't like them, I will eat the cardboard box they come in."

They also add this disclaimer in fine print:

"Laurie promises to eat a piece of the box, not the whole thing. His conviction is stronger than his stomach. "

Well, Kashi products are not an official part of the Special K Diet, but if I ate Kashi cracKers then it would add two K's to my daily K-count. I gave them a try today and they do taste good. They are 90 calories per 10 crackers. The crackers are small though. Coincidentally, a standard Special K cereal bar is also 90 calories. I will have to decide in the days ahead if I would rather eat a Special K cereal bar or 10 Kashi TLC crackers. In the end, I may choose neither.

I applaud Kelloggs and Kashi for trying to make healthier products and giving consumers a better choice of options... but I don't think cereal bars and crackers can complete with fresh fruits and vegetables. I find myself wishing that karrots and nektarines are not actually typos. I weighed myself today and I'm losing a bit of weight since my last weigh-in. Some progress thanks to the letter K.

Breakfast:
  • Special K
  • 1% milK (lactose-free)
  • Scrambled eggs
  • Toast and jam
Lunch:
  • PorK and leeK dumplings
  • Rice
  • Shrimp
  • Vegetables
Snack:
  • Kashi TLC cracKers
  • Karrots?
  • NeKtarines?
  • Special K (again)
  • 1% MilK (again)
Dinner:
  • JerK chicKen
  • Rice
Daily K-count: KKKKKKKKKK

5 comments:

  1. Make sure not to eat a total of exactly three K products in one day. Or if you do, don't record your daily K count!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if he ever ate the cardboard.

    Kashi stuff is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the cardboard is still more tasty than kichadi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, kichadee is tastier. (Don't ask how I know that) You have to develop more sensitive taste buds....which, doing kichadee many times throughout the year will give you.

    ReplyDelete