Thursday, September 2, 2010

Master Mung Cleanse: Mung Out to Dry, Day 7

Day 7: Tuesday

So long, kichadi!

Comments: The final day of kichadi. I started the day with a bland and flavorless meal of kichadi, forcing myself to stomach a whole meal in one sitting. I weighed in. And then I almost immediately began stuffing my face with cookies. Dinner was healthier, but decidedly delicious.

My goals: 1) To poo. I failed. Again. 2) To use the spices in kichadi to make something tasty, but not so rich that my poor digestive system will make me regret it for days.

Food choice: (Before weigh-in) Kichadi. (After weigh-in) Cookies; potato curry (recipe below); cheddar garden salad.

Total kichadi prepared: 1 cup of rice (pre-cooking measurements); 0.5 cup of mung bean

Total Kichadi eaten: 100%

Beverage choices: Many glasses of water, Master Cleanse (minus maple syrup).

General feelings about life post kichadi meal:
Jubilant. This is almost over!

Excitement level regarding eating kichadi (0-10; 0 = revolted, 10 = too much Botox): 1

Likelihood that I would rather starve than eat kichadi (0-10; 0 = never, 10 = kill me now): 8

Side-effects of meal: Mild dizziness; dehydration; failure to poo

Days without pooing: 4

Food related dreams or fantasies: Not eating kichadi was the only dream I entertained, and it came true.

Occurrences of note: Still no bowel movements. After 4 days!

Weight before kichadi diet: 166.4 lbs
Weight after kichadi diet: 165.9 lbs

Conclusions (more to follow in a subsequent post): The diet appears not to have been very successful on a numerical level. However, the constipation endured as part of the kichadi fast likely factors into this equation. Anecdotally, numerous individuals with no ties to one another have informed me that I look like I've lost a noticeable amount of weight in the last few days. Stay tuned for the next weigh-in!

....

"Kichadi recovery" Potato curry (very mild):
Makes 4 servings
Calories/serving: ~550

Ingredients:

- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp tumeric
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 4 tbsp olive oil (tastier alternative: ghee)
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (alternative: 1 tbsp cayenne)
- 6 medium sized white potatoes, peeled and cut into strips or cubes ~0.5 inch thick
- 3 cups water (tastier alternative: vegetable stock)
- 1 cup coconut milk (healthier alternative: low fat plain yogurt)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- salt to taste

Preparation:

Saute dry spices and jalapeno on medium heat in oil until spices brown (~1-2 minutes).
Add potatoes and mix thoroughly to cover with spices.
Cook ~10 minutes with frequent mixing.
Add water and simmer over low-medium heat until potatoes are soft (~30 minutes).
Add peas and coconut milk and heat until cooked (~5 minutes).

*Adapted from similar recipe listed on Allrecipes.com.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I meant the curry sounds really good.

    2. Allow me to share something; it IS possible to `lose weight` without it actually showing up on the scale. Likewise, it is equally possible to `gain weight` without it looking like you have. There is fat gain and loss, there is bone density gain and loss, there is muscle mass gain and loss. Each of these three types of weight `redistribution` will show up differently. Sometimes the scale will tell you the obvious, that you`ve lost or gained weight. Other times the scale remains the same but your clothes are looser and tighter. For example, when I started doing bikram yoga every day, I ended up gaining - that`s right folks -GAINING - nearly 30lbs/12 - 15kilos - but my clothes actually became looser. I had gained bone density and toned my muscles. Superfluous fat was melted away.

    Likewise, when I broke my knee and was bedridder for four months, I lost all that extra weight - again, nearly 30 lbs which is A LOT - BUT, and here's the kicker, my pants all got tighter. Talk about a cruel joke. My fat to muscle ratios had altered so much that that was the unfortunate outcome.

    So you see, the scale isn't the only determiner of weight gain or loss. There are many other factors that need to be taken into consideration.

    So I don't doubt that while Doctor Cook didn't seem to loose (key word being seem) weight according to the scale, I have no doubt that everyone's observations of his being physically thinner were actually correct.

    (Most likely one of the reasons he did not have bowel movements near the end is because he did not consume much kichadee. There was nothing for the body to work with.)

    ps. all the competitors are invited to my place for dinner after this competition is complete.

    ReplyDelete