Saturday, July 17, 2010

Delicious food that I could be eating

I'm currently in Boston, enjoying a different ambiance for a couple of weeks, and wanted to thank celestialspeedster for making this trip considerably less enjoyable. Curse you for proposing this competition!

Boston and New England in general are home to many delicious and terribly unhealthy dishes. I thought I'd share some pictures of all the wonderful food I won't be eating while I'm here. Well, hopefully not, anyway...



The Lobster Roll


This delightful looking heart stopper is basically lobster mixed in with copious amounts of mayonnaise, served on a hot dog bun. I'm dying to eat one.

Estimated % of daily calories: >50%






Boston Cream Pie

The basic composition of this amazing food, is cake (sugar, flour, milk, eggs, and oil); cream filling (more sugar, milk, eggs and butter); and chocolate ganache (chocolate and cream). This is also available in donut form. Surprisingly, neither is good for you. Sigh...

Estimated % of daily calories: Just put down the fork, fatty.





New England Clam Chowder

Soup? Surely this must be healthy? Guess again. Clam chowder is essentially just cream, potatoes, and clams, with some bacon and butter thrown in for good measure.

Estimated % of daily calories: 25%, for a modest serving. In the US, this size of serving doesn't exist.





The Fluffernutter

This might sound like something you would order in the red light district in Amsterdam, but it is in fact layers of peanut butter and marshmallow "fluff" sandwiched between two slices of bread. This creation was proposed as the state sandwich of Massachusetts.

Estimated % of daily calories: If you're eating this regularly, your daily calories are the least of your worries.

...

I hope this makes your mouths water, competitors, and that you give in to temptation.

To paraphrase a former colleague, "Giving up smoking, drinking, and unhealthy food won't actually make you live longer. It will just feel like it."

So just go for it everyone. They sell Boston Cream Pie in most urban centers. Think about it. I know I will...

6 comments:

  1. You can still eat all those foods. Just not all on the same day. You're there a couple of weeks. Spread it out. For example, eat two lobster rolls and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Thorn. You have to try out the new and exotic food... but not all at once. And for God's sake, whatever you do... DON'T bring any back for us to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you were writing that comment Flocons, I was eating a juicy lobster roll. Gah! It wasn't as mayo covered as I'd feared and hoped for at this particular restaurant, though it did come with extra healthy french fries, coleslaw, tartar sauce, and 3 pints of beer. Well, the 3 pints weren't included, but you get the picture! They should have been for the $16 price tag, though! It really was delicious.

    I did sandwich this meal with 22 km of vigorous, albeit funny looking walking (thanks for making me self-conscious speedster, you jerk). So I imagine I worked off at least half of it. It helps to get lost in a city that has probably the worst street signage I've ever encountered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I've already found something to bring back for my fellow competitors. Mwuahahahahaa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget to try the Boston Cream pie. I hear it's delicious and humans really seem to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete