Monday, July 12, 2010

The race to anorexia

Recently, The Storymaster moved into a new dwelling and, coincidentally, enlisted every Thinspiration XXL competitor to assist her. Reporting on how little we had eaten for breakfast became a game of one-up-manship:
"I had two apples."
"I had nothing."
"I didn't even have dinner last night!"
As we carried The Storymaster's solid furniture, including a coffee table that was presumably made of lead, we talked excitedly about how the exercise would allow us to burn more calories.
"My body is probably consuming itself for energy!"
When The Storymaster offered cold orange juice during a break, everyone eyed the Nutritional Information with suspicion. Those who chose to drink in the 140 calories contained in the juice were soundly mocked.
As the day wore on, the gnawing hunger took its toll. Royal Pinguo and I shared a single granola bar despite Flocons's taunts, before passing out. Doctor Cook also fell into unconsciousness soon after.
We remained relatively quiet when The Storymaster took us out to lunch, perhaps lacking the energy to even converse, then because we were urgently stuffing our mouths with food.
The starvation tactic is probably not going to work over the two remaining months of the competition - I pray it doesn't. But this is like an arms race, and I won't stop this virtual hunger strike until someone else puts some food in their mouth.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect the coffe table seemed so heavy due to lower energy levels. But then again, it may have contained lead....made in the 80's. It was rather interesting to note that every single competitor VERY suspiciously eyed anything I offered...including the small bottle of juice. I couldn't believe no one wanted to ingest so much as a bottle of water or juice! Crazy! It was also very hot and the furniture was quite heavy...mostly solid wood. I guess dinner was considered the meal for the next two weeks then...

    ReplyDelete