Friday, July 30, 2010

Running Riot! Please Note: Headbanging while running is fun but highly discouraged.

As humans we crave distraction especially during points of stress and boredom, while undergoing something long and tedious. Distractions make the time flow just little less slow.

Running is very much in that category of long and tedious. All 6 of us are "runners" to a varying degree or have at least run at some point. I can thank Flocons for getting me into the world in 2004. I've never looked back unless I've tripped on something.

Running is long periods of introspection disguised as excercise. Introspection has it's necesary place but is slow and sometimes painful like running so we distract ourselves with different routes, traffic, conversation if running in groups and music playing, heart rate monitoring gadgets of all kinds. Without distraction we tend to drift in focus to the self-inflicted pain and discomfort and truly HOW LONG this running thing really takes... which just saps all the fun right out of it. Not allowing ourselves to settle into a groove and just go. Which is bad.

That being said there's only a few events I've done that HAVE NOT included some form of eardrum numbing tunes to help pass the time:
  • triathlons and duathlons as they are not allowed on course for safety reasons (dangling cables + bike handlebars = bad) and also the events themselves pose significantly different physical and mental challenges
  • the Twenty Valley Wine Run during which you have enough distraction between running through the vineyards of Niagara, drinking wine en route and chatting with other runners that serves quite well and you WANT it to take a long time. My favourite Personal Worst Time ever.
I learned the hard way how important distractions are when I ran my first and so far only Marathon. 42km of hell and the battery of my then mp3 player DIED with 15km or so to go. Let the true test of wills begin...honest I was about to cry. 42km on your feet can do that, especially when you're not even done yet.

iPod batteries holding a more reliable charge has resolved that issue. In no particular order here's a small selection of distracting tunage from my trusty-near-rusty iPod shuffle that have carried me through many a run:
  1. Slayer : Raining Blood (really does it require any explanation?)

  2. Tea Party : Sister Awake (Alhambra remix)

  3. Radiohead : Backdrifts

  4. Finger 11 : Quicksand

  5. Daniel Lanois : Still Water

  6. Alice in Chains : I Stay Away

  7. Tool : Pushit (Live version from Salival)

  8. Stone Temple Pilots : Still Remains

  9. Korn : No Place to Hide

  10. Pearl Jam : I Am Mine (I know I was born and I know that I'll die, in between is mine...)

No comments:

Post a Comment