Sunday, July 25, 2010

For the love of God, body, take it easy. I'm sorry I ate so much!

I am in a tremendous amount of pain. Since we began this competition, I have lost weight. The numbers remain to be seen, but I'm fairly confident in that assessment. However, in the process, I have turned my body against me.

The strangest feeling part about having starved myself for so long, is that all of the hunger related feelings I should have are virtually absent. In the past, when I woke up in the morning, my stomach would tell me, in no uncertain terms, "Hey! Jerk! It has been 12 hrs. Where's the damn food?". I would respond by pouring coffee down my throat and thinking, "Shut up, you. Take this! Now you're too sick to eat anything". My body would respond with the strong urge to use the bathroom. We've always had a very turbulent relationship.

Later in the afternoon, my stomach would act up again, screaming, "You jerk! Feed me now or I'll make you dizzy!". I'd give in, though I would keep the intake really low, out of spite.

And finally, late at night, my stomach would resort to threats, "Eat or I'll grumble all night, and you won't be able to sleep", and at this point, I'd usually eat a regular meal. It wasn't a happy relationship, but at least we were on speaking terms.

Strangely, my stomach doesn't talk to me at all anymore. Every day that I've woken up in the past week, no noises. No conversations. Nothing. It's usually not until the evening that I think, well, I should probably eat something. It has been almost 24 hrs and the restaurants will close soon. Don't get me wrong, I'm still hungry. Once I so much as taste the food, I become voracious. I would probably literally bite whoever tried to take it away. The weird thing is, I've lost the biological feeling of hunger, at least within a 24 hr period.

The other terrible but wonderful part is the shrinking of the stomach. I just came back from eating... far too much. I decided to go to a local steakhouse here in Boston, called Longhorn's. I started with a 25 ounce beer. After that, I ordered a steak. I debated for many minutes what size steak, and decided that 6 ounces was too small. Instead, I went for a 12 oz steak. And an appetizer, some lobster and shrimp chowder. This doesn't sound too unreasonable, does it? Right...

First the chowder came out. It was enormous. The bowl was about 6 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep. I was full after eating that. However, following that was a Caesar salad, of similar proportion to the chowder. And a loaf of bread. And then the steak. With a large side of potatoes. I'm not sure, but I suspect I've consumed well over 3500 calories in one sitting. And my stomach is very very angry. Today was not a very good day for weight loss. I'm sorry stomach. You would have loved this in the past. But I realize that going from zero to hero only works in the movies, not in a biological setting.




Seriously, what on earth are we doing to our bodies??

3 comments:

  1. Doctor Cook,
    I really feel for you. I have been in your shoes and I know how much this sucks. However, it is a valuable experience that will help you stay on track in the future. I commend your ability to stretch your stomach so much in one sitting, albeit your suffering for it the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only competitors doing physical harm to themselves are Doctor Cook, Flocons and myself. Thorn, Royal Pinguo and Opiate are taking the moderate approach to weight loss.

    On that note, who would you want to support with your hard earned cash? Boring, sensible competitors or competitors who will punish themselves for your edutainment?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate a burrito today. A large, but not overlarge burrito. Nothing more. And I thought I would die, both from fullness and fatigue afterwards.

    I think I need more blood. Do you think I can slip someone at the blood bank a twenty to hook me up with a booster?

    Thorn, Royal, and Opiate, you are missing out on the true experience! Shame on... you... oh man... I need to lie down. zzzzz

    ReplyDelete