Sunday, September 5, 2010

This medal costed me 3455 calories


I never hit "The Wall". I ran the whole damn way with the wall on my back. 42.2km of "The Wall". Normally reserved for the vicinity of the 30k point to most when the body has burned and depleted what little remained of it's stored fuel, locks up and begins to fail, I ran through that imaginary brickworks feeling much as I did since waking up and the start gun had not yet sounded.

That being Hungover and my body locked up and ready to fail. I've raced in pretty rough shape in Montreal many a time, but for dragon boating where if you're not hungover on the Sunday's races you weren't trying hard enough the night before and is considered an inexcusable insult to your team. Well my team at least Trout bless them the drunken bastards.

REAL pain had waited until barely 6 km left, as I rounded a bend and caught sight of the tower of the Olympic Stadium in the distance. Knowing me too well and that I was unlikely to slow down let alone stop to stretch at this point, it was here where my calves, shins, knees and hips all decided to go into revolt.

Last night I couldn't resist. To the west was an awesome sunset, the east held a spectacular rainbow, there was some pretty rocking bands on stage, and I had a good beer in hand.

Then another. And another. I enjoy my good omens too much. I am also guilty of drunk-texting Flocons, Doc Cook, and the Story Teller from the concert. I owe you all a drink.

Literally crawling out of bed at 6:45am...my calves were already cramped before we even reached the start line from improper rest and lack of hydration. Hops in water, does not water make.

Race Day:
Breakfast: peanut butter Cliff bar, tangerines, banana, bottle of water.

Consumed en route:
  • 4 x Power Gels
  • 2 x bananas
  • lots and lots of water and some wierd berry flavour gatorade substance that was very very very good!!!
Now taking me as a 175lbs tank lumbering down the road, my gun time was 4:19:34, or roughly just over 6 minutes per kilometre.

At that pace, at my weight, I was burning an estimated 797 calories per hour. Over the run, I burned roughly 3455 calories, more than an entire days worth to sustain ourselves in a-plenty.

In 4 hours and 20 minutes.

I did not have my victory beer, I felt like I was going to puke.

When my stomach calmed down which took far longer than I'd anticipated, I thanked it's endurance with a few more bottles of Boreal Rousse and a seafood pizza, later a bottle of red wine, crackers and camembert. But I still feel like I'm going to puke, and I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Opiate! A fantastic accomplishment that not many can say they've experienced..... or put themselves through! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beer Power!

    Though I do not recommend such a form of carb-loading to anyone, ever. Under any circumstances. Ever.

    ReplyDelete