Saturday, September 11, 2010

Killing me softly with your food...

An old friend invited Royal Pinguo and a few of our friends to a decadent dinner at their home. In our busy lives, it is a luxury to be able to sit down with friends and have a REAL meal together... A meal that we didn't order over a telephone or a fast food counter. This was a remarkable meal worth blogging about. Our hosts stayed up until 3am in the morning to prepare this dinner, and they spared no expense. Quite simply, it was the most delicious home-made dinner I've had in memory. It started with bruschetta and mini-quiches. I was told not to fill up on this because it was only a warm-up.

I saw the BBQ being fired up and several rib-eye steaks being grilled to perfection by the resident steak expert. Our gracious hosts advised us to fill up on the steak. If it wasn't enough then they would have "plain rice" as filler.

The "plain rice" was actually mushroom risotto, the host's signature dish. I never really knew why risotto was such a big deal until I had this dish. Our host also prepared steamed mussels for us.
Royal Pinguo and I had seconds and were very full. Then our hosts said "Wait, we also have dessert!" They brought out small ceramic cups and started sprinkling sugar over the contents... then they brought out the mini-torch, we realized that dessert was creme brulee!

Royal Pinguo and I shared one between us... our stomaches couldn't fit any more delicious food. At the end of the evening, we sat around the leftovers and talked until the early hours of the morning. I must thank our gracious hosts for putting together such a wonderful meal. It was truly a treat.

Epilogue:
Since this is the Thinspiration XXL blog, I have pondered the consequences of this meal. It meant that I gained 2 pounds this week. That was not good. Throughout these last 10 weeks, I've cut the junk food from my diet, and I believe I've done a good job on this. But what about amazing food? It's much easier to say no to fried chicken than to say no to a well cooked steak. In these cases, portion control seems like the best way to go. I don't think I did a good job of that in this particular case... Do I regret that? Not a chance. :)

1 comment: